I really can’t catch my breath.
I am really blown away by Apple’s presentation today at their annual WWDC (Worldwide Developer’s Conference) in San Jose, CA. Because I know you don’t want to know all of the nerdy parts, I’ll spare you those amazing details.
I will be doing a video post in the next month or so to explain the exhaustive list of amazing things coming later this year from Apple. In the meantime, here is a brief overview:
- Pay Cash – Just like loading your debit/credit card into your Apple Wallet, you now have a dedicated Pay method to use within watchOS and iOS for things like shopping at your favorite retailer OR,…
- Peer-to-Peer Payments – Can be used to pay a friend via Pay within an iMessage conversation!
- Siri Watch Face – Now you have your personal assistant, Siri, in his or her own dedicated watch face with a rolling view of intuitive commands and predictive actions throughout your day, thanks to machine-learning!
- Woody, Buzz, and Jesse – are now interactive watch faces!
- Available this Fall for all Watch models!
macOS High Sierra
- Vast Performance Improvements – Like Safari with 80% faster speeds than Google Chrome.
- AutoPlay Videos Blocked – No more pesky videos that start playing somewhere on the webpage and not being able to find where it is to stop it, or to press mute on your keyboard to stop the interruption!
- Intelligent Browser Tracking – Privacy is important at Apple and now you can rest easy when you leave a site and not see ads from that site everywhere else you go!
- Better Mail Searches – Now featuring Top Hits for when you’re searching for a specific conversation in the Mail app.
- A Facelift for Photos – Now you can search and refine results by media type, date, keyword, people and more. Also, something I’ve been itching to see more than anything in Photos is the ability to use the People feature to name specific faces and have it sync across all devices, is coming to macOS and iOS! Thank you, Facial Recognition!
- APFS – WHAT??? I know, you probably have no idea what that is, and when I tell you, it won’t mean anything,… YET! APFS = Apple File System which is a long overdue overhaul of how your files are managed within the operating system. In English, this means that file transfers and video copies are done so much more rapidly!
- Also available as a free update this Fall for the following models:
- iMac (Late 2009 & later)
- MacBook Air (2010 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
- Mac mini (2010 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (2010 or newer)
- Mac Pro (2010 or newer)
- Messages – Redesigned iMessage app “drawer” along the bottom of the conversation screen.
- Cross-Device Message Sync – so now when you delete a message from your iPad, it will be deleted from your iPhone and other iOS devices simultaneously!
- Do Not Disturb While Driving – A great new feature for you to be distraction-free while driving. Auto-reply to someone letting them know that you are driving and will respond when you are safely able to do so.
- Control Center – An updated look, much more customization available.
- SO MUCH MORE, available this Fall for all devices supporting iOS 10!
“Apple reinvented portable music with iPod and now HomePod will reinvent how we enjoy music wirelessly throughout our homes,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “HomePod packs powerful speaker technology, Siri intelligence and wireless access to the entire Apple Music library into a beautiful speaker that is less than 7 inches tall, can rock most any room with distortion free music and be a helpful assistant around your home.”
In addition, Apple announced a Pro-grade iMac desktop computer built for professionals called the iMac Pro, starting at $4,999. These will ship in December.
For now, that’s the most concise overview of today’s keynote event and I will be sharing a much more detailed look at all of these features in a video post this Fall, so stay tuned for that! In the meantime, feel free to send me any questions you may have!